Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Squeezing Through the Needle's Eye

I was writing this reflection in the "comments" section of Laura's post...but it became long, so I figured I might as well post it on the blog itself.
Laura, I have been meaning to thank you for taking the time to write these beautiful reflections. I appreciated them and was genuinely impressed on multiple levels. They have also inspired in me some reflections, which I shall now impose upon you:

It is always amazing to hear about the unwavering faith, hope and love of those who suffer material poverty...especially when contrasted with the spiritual despair or indifference which is so common in the "prosperous" West. It brings to mind the words of our Savior: "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Mt. 19:23-24). What is it about wealth that makes it such a stumbling block on our Christian journey?

It seems to me that it is harder for us, as the "rich", to put our faith in anyone but ourselves, to hope in anything but ourselves, and to love anyone but ourselves and our own "pursuit of happiness". We are self-made--individualistic--and therefore it is more difficult for us to see how dependent we are on God for true and lasting fulfillment. Faith requires humble submission, the recognition that we require God's grace to heal us and conform us to the image of Christ. There are so many mental and spiritual barriers to such faith when we are burdened with material riches. So many distractions. We always think about how we need to help the poor, teach the poor, feed the poor, etc. But in many ways, we have more to learn from them about what is true and good and beautiful. They are able to perceive something which eludes us.

Thanks again, Laura! I would be interested to hear any other reflections you may have had since your trip. I would also be glad to hear anyone else's thoughts on the problem of material wealth and Christian faith. Why is faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior alive and vibrant in the world's poorest places--Africa, India, China--and dwindling or dead in the ostensibly "blessed" wealthy nations of the West?

10 comments:

Rick Barry said...

Incidentally, my dad told me to post something. Why do I think nobody is going to ask me to post ever again?

UB said...

Hi Rick,

Thanks for this message. It was interesting to see your posting based on Laura's message. I had read Laura's words again recently, with more time to really reflect on her words and experiences. I was planning to send her another e-mail.

I want to give more thought to your input as well. It is extremely insightful, meaningful, and thought provoking. I look forward to contemplating further (at an airport now) and responding. Thank you to both you and Laura for sharing so much.

UB

Anonymous said...

Rick, I don't necessarily agree that modern society is turning from the teachings of the church. Rather, in this country for example, a segement of the population finds it expedient and stylish to downplay religion but the mainstream is still on board. Just one man's opinion.

Rae said...

Very well written and thought provoking, Rick. And actually it makes me wish you would post more often.....

By the way - have you read "The Shack"? I'd be interested in your thoughts on that.

Rick Barry said...

My dear Father,

I guess it depends on how we measure religious practice. It seems to me that religiosity in America is best described as "lukewarm", and I think it would be unrecognizable to our grandfathers and grandmothers...who would, I suspect, feel more at home with Christians in poor nations than they would in most modern American parishes. After all, our grandparents were poor Christians!

As an aide, I should augment my previous post by mentioning what happened after Jesus made his comment about the camel and the needle. The disciples were astonished by the bleak statement, and asked "Who then can be saved?" Our Lord responded: "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Our wealth in America leads to a multitude of distractions and cultivates delusions of self-sufficiency. This is not the best atmosphere for the Christian gospel...but I ought to emphasize Christ's response that God can get that camel through the needle's eye...and perhaps He can even squeeze Americans into heaven.

On a related note, I think this plan to cap executive salaries makes no economic sense and will have devastating unintended consequences.

What's that they always say about discussing religion and politics?

rjbiv

Rick Barry said...

Rae: I had actually never heard of The Shack...but it seems like it's quite a hot book right now, if Amazon is to be trusted. If you've read it, I'd love to hear more. I read so little fiction, it's an embarrassment...but I'll keep my eyes open for it at the bookstore.

And thanks for your kind words, as always.

UB said...

Rick III,

I have the book 'The Schack. I originally thought it was based on the Laker years, but found out it was a different Shaq.

Seriously, people either like or dislike this book. Seems to be no in-between. Except for me. I thought it was OK, understanding how people could really like it. It all depends on where the person is religiously and where they are in their faith development. I also think it depends on how conservative (or otherwise) one is in their religious thinking. Wither way, I will give it to you for your own review. But, know there is no talk of bball in the book.

Cordially,

wpbI

UB said...

rjbiv,

I am in unison with all your comments in your last posting. I do feel, however, that Americans will easily slide through the needle's eye (or that little hole as I term it).

So many have not have the advantage of growing up in a faith-based environment and know only the 'material world'. God will guide these people through as well. But it is our job to help these people learn the faith we know, one interaction at a time.

On the subject of executive pay, I offer a thought or two. It is imperative that our top execs maintain their motivation to drive corporations to maximum profitability & maximum employment. I believe their is a difference between effective incentive-driven compensation and gross over-compensation. As long as the cap is not impacting the first method, I'm OK with it. Finding that perfect formula is improssible, but that's my theory.

By the way, how much snow did you get? It was sunny in Chicago while Indiana got dumped on.

Respectfully,

wpbI

John said...

Thanks for your usual thoughtful comments, Rick. Laura hasn't yet signed onto the blog. I think she had a problem when she tried to do so once. Anyway, I emailed your comments to her. Take care, big guy.

Uncle John

Rick Barry said...

Uncle wpbi,

On the issue of pay-caps, I have been surprised to read a number of conservatives who support them. Part of the reason for their support is that these commentators believe the caps will be a significant disincentive, and few businesses will be inclined to turn to the government for bailout if their salaries will be cut so dramatically. Interesting.

More broadly, I do agree with you that there is such a thing as "gross over-compensation". I do not know how to deal with this phenomenon, however. I remain weary of federal intervention, especially because (as I said) I think the unintended consequences will be detrimental to an already fragile economy. My concern is largely pragmatic.

I will respond to the other part of your comment in a separate post.

Rick